As the members of Cardinal Nation prepare to celebrate Thanksgiving, I want to take this opportunity to wish everyone a safe and happy holiday. If you are driving this weekend, please be mindful of not only yourself but everybody else out there driving as well. Most accidents are caused by people who don’t expect to be involved in an accident. Actually, I have no scientific evidence to back that up, but it sounds reasonable to me. With a tryptophan-filled day just in sight, I give you a top 15 list of things I’m thankful for with a Cardinals twist.
- The opportunity to attend Cardinals games and sit beside Cubs fans. Sure, we mock and deride them. Yes, they are made the butts of endless jokes. I’ve also had the pleasure of talking baseball with many Cubs fans at games, and I’ve had a great time doing so. The Cardinals/Cubs rivalry is great, because the fans have passion for their teams and the game, and I believe that’s the way it should always be.
- Paid attendance of 40,000+ at Busch Stadium for games played after the Cardinals have been eliminated from the playoff race.
- Standing ovations for former Cardinals when they return to St. Louis for the first time (see also: Ryan Ludwick). File this one under “classy”.
- Yadier Molina picking off a runner at 1st base. This move should simply be called “The Yadi”.
- Watching Albert Pujols dig into the batter’s box with the bases loaded.
- Waiting for the 1-2 curve ball from Adam Wainwright when everybody in the park knows it’s coming.
- Searching for seats in a section full of people wearing Taguchi, Spiezio, Rolen, Smith, McGee, and Herr jerseys.
- Watching baserunners ignore the “stop” sign from Jose Oquendo.
- Knowing that the Cardinals are one contract extension away from locking up the 3 and 4 hitters for the next half dozen years.
- The opportunity to watch Brendan Ryan make plays that most shortstops couldn’t make on an Xbox 360.
- Ice. Cold. Bud. (Preferably screamed right into your earhole by a vendor who is seemingly oblivious of your presence a mere 2 feet away)
- Fans refusing to do the stupid wave. This needs to end. St. Louis needs to ban “The Wave”.
- Jason Motte bouncing around on the pitcher’s mound like a kid on pixy stix.
- 81 days until pitchers and catchers report.
Of course, I could name a lot more than 15, but these were just the first 15 that came to mind. May you all be so fortunate when making a list of things for which you are thankful. Happy Thanksgiving.