Unfortunately, it’s the wrong kind of history to be setting.
From the “if you can’t say anything nice…” files, comes the following graph:
|3||1936-07-29 (1)||STL||BRO||L 7-22||8.0||21||22||17||7||4||0||55||48||2|
|8||1936-08-25 (1)||STL||BSN||L 3-20||9.0||25||20||18||5||3||0||58||52||2|
|12||1956-07-01 (1)||STL||CIN||L 15-19||10.0||20||19||18||8||6||5||2||1||59||49||7|
|14||1926-07-11 (2)||STL||BSN||L 5-19||9.0||23||19||10||3||1||0||54||50||3|
|18||1960-08-07 (1)||STL||CIN||L 4-18||9.0||21||18||16||5||8||1||1||0||54||46||3|
So for only the nineteenth time since 1920, the Cardinals surrendered eighteen or more runs.
You’ll note, that as is usually the case in these sorts of debacles, that not all of the runs scored in last night’s game were earned. Only in three of the games charted above were all of the opposing team’s runs earned.
I was on a plane, and furiously scrambling to figure out why the wi-fi capable bird was not providing me with an opportunity to watch the Redbirds. Whew! What a boon for my attitude when I landed!
Some notes based upon very cursory glances at the box score and some reports about the game:
- Free Jon Jay.
- Speaking of Jay, can we get The Judge in a leadoff audition one of these games? As our esteemed colleague Pip over at Fungoes correctly opines – Aaron Miles is certainly not the answer.
- Pip also hits the nail on the head re: Albert Pujols and his attitude toward the team/coaches right now. Been saying for a while that Pujols’ disregard specifically for the instruction given to him when running (usually through) third base was not only harming the team, but completely disrespectful and out of not only Albert’s character, but also the team’s.
- Back to the chart above – I remember that 20-2 disaster with the Phillies. Last night’s team pitch count was no contest for that nightmare.
- Brendan Ryan continues to hit – this can only mean good things if it continues.
- Let’s hope the last two games do not start a downward trend for the Cardinal bullpen. Look for more arms to do the I-55 Shuffle soon.
Dare I say again that the good thing is that tonight’s game starts again at 0-0?