I’m going to try to start writing a weekly Sunday post which just kind of highlights my thoughts throughout the weekend. Here goes:
- Kelvin Jimenez proved me (and a bunch of other people) right. Kudos to Mo and TLR for taking immediate action. Welcome to the big show, Mark Worrell! Given Tony’s usual penchant for getting guys in there quickly, expect to see Worrell some on Monday.
- Speaking of Jimenez, can anyone tell me how many options the Cardinals have left to exhaust on this guy? Can’t we just give up on him now?
- Congrats Joe Mather on your first big-league hit and RBI, Friday night. Joey Bombs has also excelled in the field, making a couple of great plays in the right field corner Friday night.
- Troy Glaus appears to be heating up, along with the weather. Two home runs on the weekend hopefully spells more to come for T-Roy. Home runs will come, the 34 RBI are a great number so far, in this writer’s opinion.
- CP63 gave up his first big-league earned run today. So what. Keep throwing the 97 mph heat, Chris!
- Rick Ankiel is making a lot of people forget/care less about Jim Edmonds playing for the Cubs. Ank’s catch today in center field was what many would call “classic Edmonds” – but it’s quickly becoming “classic Ankiel”.
- Chris Duncan was 0 for 4 in his first start with Memphis Saturday night. I’ll reserve judgment on Dunc until he gets a week’s worth or so in at AAA.
- Derrick Goold notes at Bird Land that Matt Clement will start his rehab assignment at Palm Beach on Tuesday. As noted by DG, Chris Carpenter also threw some simulated start innings. Hopefully these guys can fare better in their returns than Mark Mulder.
- Saturday’s game sucked. The result sucked. The pitching sucked. The weather sucked. BUT, the Cards still have taken two games in this series from the (suddenly thorn-in-the-side) Pirates. If these guys can win two games in most of their series from here out, this will be a magical season for the Redbirds.